Wednesday, July 4, 2012

"What is this?" Wednesday

First off- happy 4th of July!  I don't thank God enough for our freedoms and blessings as Americans.  We truly have amazing opportunities in our country.

With that, I'd like to show you a different country and possibly some new things.  Since I've been asking my "students" during the ESL (English as a second language) hours each day, "What is this?" I decided I could do the same for those of your reading back home.  The following are three pictures.  They're either a snippet of a bigger picture or just something not  seen outside of Ghana.  I will show three pictures, asking the question, "What is this?"  I welcome you to guess what you think the item is in the picture.  The person who gets the most right (or is the closest) will get something special from Ghana, but you must answer in a complete sentence (since I require the same for those here in Ghana during our teaching lessons).

Before I show the pictures, I need to congratulate Clancy for getting the last one right (mostly)!  I showed a picture of what I saw from the airport terminal in Dubai and she guessed the biggest building in the world.  I saw the rough outline of the Burj Khalifa and felt like I at least experienced some of Dubai.  Now that I've experienced lots of Ghana, below are three things I have found most interesting:

Picture 1: What is this?
Picture 2: What are these?

Picture 3: What is this?
Happy Wednesday!

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I don't know. Ice pack? but I can't imagine ice in Ghana! Boats - not sure exactly what kind. Some kind of farming machine - again, I know nothing about farming. Pretty sure I'm not going to win!

    Try these for ideas:
    http://www.eslmania.com/teacher/teacher.htm

    http://www.eslflow.com/

    Hope you're enjoying your time there! Send the VandenHeuvals hellos from me!
    deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I am not really sure what this is, maybe it is plastic utensils of some sort, or straws??

    2. They are Farm boats at the dock.

    3. It is a Planter farm machine used to help plant the crops.

    Praying for your time there Trevin!!

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. It looks like an ice pack or cold gel.
    2. Yeah, I'm going with boats too.
    3. Electrical lines or telephone wires?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'm in...

    1. I think this is an inflatable pillow.
    2. These look like canoes all lined up and ready to go. (Whatever it is, it's a GREAT picture.)
    3. This is something really important...well, maybe not too important since it's covered with cobwebs...or maybe the spiders in Ghana are just really industrious.

    Hey, I said I was in...I didn't say I was going to guess anything correctly;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. picture 3 - something to do with irrigation machines?

    ReplyDelete
  6. #1 looks like an ice pack. #2, boats at a marina. #3, ???????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracey/Mom thinks #1 might be a bag of salt or lime for the farm; Dave/Dad thinks it could be a disposable pillow. #2 is a raft of individual boats tied up or moored together; #3 appears to be seed bins on a planting machine or tractor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll announce the winner on Sunday, so keep the guesses coming! I also realized that Rupa actually won the last "what is this" in this post: http://trevinhoekzema.blogspot.com/2012/06/lot-of-firsts.html

    Although she did not get it right, she won by default. I forgot that I had already told Clancy! And since Rupa was the only other guesser- she won!

    ReplyDelete