Monday, July 9, 2012

Award Winning Monday

In an another attempt to make Monday less dreary (I've seen a lot of Facebook complaints about today marking the beginning of another work week), I decided to announce the "What is this?" winner today.


I have to say it is a tie between my parents and Joyce Sabin for getting the most/closest to being right on the pictures.  Both of them were right about pictures 2 and 3, but, like everyone else, did not get picture 1 correct.  If you need a refresher, check out that post here.  So picture 1 was actually drinking water!  Picture 2 was boats tied up on shore and picture 3 was the seed planter.  Thanks for playing everyone!  I'll put up another set of 3 pictures on Wednesday.







If you're still confused about picture 1, when I first saw the plastic pouches of water, I was baffled too.  It has taken some getting used to, but as long as you store them in an area that doesn't smell bad, they work just fine.  You simply nip one of the corners with your teeth and sip away.  Apparently the guys hear learned the hard way that the plastic does not keep out odors.  They had the big bag of waters near the diesel fuel and soon found that their water had taken on the taste of diesel.  Yum!

Now here's the moment you've all been waiting for! (Yeah right, Trevin...)



Just to briefly walk you through the video- the first two shots we were taking a walk around the corn crop, checking the status, assessing the weed situation, and planning out how to best deal with issues.  We walk into the "elephant grass" to get a better look at the loud noise that was coming from there.  Hundreds of birds have nested in the grass, stringing their nests between two grasses, hanging about 6ft from the ground.  It was amazing to see and hear!  The first one on the right is a shot from between the grasses of the nests and the birds.  The one below is a close up of the nests.  Not long after that we went to replace the oil in the generators and found a massive beetle.  I tried my best to show it off, but some of the pictures may be better suited for that.  The bottom picture shows the beetle in a bit more of a ferocious view.  We were able to change the oil and then get out of the heat to do some work in the office that we just set up.  Then I prepared the English lesson for today and had some fun with my Ghanaian coworkers.  Hamza and I sealed off the day with some soccer in the village.  The last video shot is my attempt to show you the level of gnat activity at night.  It's insane!  Even now there's about an inch layer of dead gnats in between the window and the screen.  So crazy...  Anyways, hope you've enjoyed the video!  Let me know if there is anything you would like to see/know more about (people, culture, wildlife, farming, myself, etc).  You ask and I'll deliver! I hope... 



As a side note: Please be advised that the mustache shown in the video is real.  It is potentially temporary so those that are possibly disturbed can hopefully rest easy.

3 comments:

  1. I don't care how temporary the 'stache is. I'm very disturbed! the beetle is less disturbing than the 'stache...

    love the video :) and the music too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Clancy on the 'stache--you gotta lose it buddy--NOW! Mom said you can keep it only if you put on skin tight white bell-bottom jeans and open shirt, and change the music to the Dooby Brothers (just kill me...)

      Delete