Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The First Full Day in SA

Monday, June 14, 2010, 2:38PM
Pneumatix Campus, Somerset West, South Africa

Yesterday I arrived in Cape Town! I was in transit for a total of 40 hours!  I got through security with no problem and saw Lourens and his wife Elsa as soon as I walked out the doors- it was such a relief!  They took me on a grand tour of Cape Town, stopping at a neat Fishers Wharf (picture 1), driving all around Table Top Mountain (picture 2), over to Signal Hill (picture 3), and finally to the water front where I met the other team members(picture 4).  From there we traveled to a Hillsong church plant!  It was a neat experience to see a similar style worship as Grace Community in CT.  Unfortunately, since I was so exhausted, I slept right through the sermon… it was a little embarrassing actually.





As we left the service, we were given free passes to view the Germany vs Australia game on big screens in a convention center below us.  Even though I was ready for rest, I didn’t want to miss this experience.  A huge hall, about the size of the Baltimore Convention Center, was set up with six giant projector screens, all showing the game (picture below).  Our group has about 20 and there were maybe 40 other people in this room (a Sunday evening game didn’t draw much of a crowd), so cheering with 60 people was rather exciting.  Germany scored four goals to Australia’s zero- giving us quite a bit to cheer about (even if the score was flipped we would have still be cheering, it was just the idea of the games and scoring goals that got us all excited).  We left the center to go back to the campus where we’re staying.


It is a very nice place, just off a highway.  It is not the place I originally was going to stay at because this place is where my team is actually staying.  It’s called Pneumatix (pronounced new-matix), and is more or less like a summer camp that we might attend in the States.  Each room has four bunk beds and one bathroom.  Somehow I got lucky (or unlucky- not sure which yet) and have a room to myself.  When we arrived here last night, I quickly unpacked and took a wonderfully hot shower.  It felt so good since the last time I showered was over three days before.  After, I made my bed and fell asleep.

I didn’t wake up until noon today, just in time to catch lunch.  All day today the team is preparing for the next two weeks of programs in Kayamandi.  Everyone but me is from a group called 13th Floor- a traveling visual arts performance organization that uses the power of drama and dance to reach the hearts of the youth worldwide in an effort to plant, water, and sow the seeds of the gift of Jesus Christ.  The 13th Floor crew is split up in several groups, one group is creating workshops on drama where they will teach the bare essentials of preparation for performing (warm-ups, tongue twisters, the power of pauses, etc).  Another group is doing a workshop on dance where they will teach some of the basics of jazz and hip-hop.  In between these workshops will be a drama performance and a dance performance.

And from what I’ve learned over many of the other programs and service trips, I will be sure to stay flexible.  These performances and workshops are going to have an amazing impact on the kids they are targeting.  I will keep you posted on whether they change or not!  Thanks for praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment