Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Baltimore Street Church


The past couple of Sundays, I have been going to the Baltimore Street Church with some friends.  It started with Brian and I fulfilling our jobs as interns with Serve Greater Baltimore.  We were asked to check out this movement at Old Town Mall that's been creating quite a stir in the Christian circle in Baltimore.  Before we knew it, we were worshipping with the church community (above) and serving breakfast (below).  The job responsibility quickly became a personal desire.




I missed the past two Sundays and am not liking it!  The community there is extremely deep.  Members of the street church open up about their personal relationships with Jesus every morning, crying out for support from God and their brothers and sisters in Christ.  As many of the people there support each other through their struggles as Christ followers, they also help each other through their struggles with addiction, homelessness, and poverty.

The Old Town Mall area was once a lively location, full of businesses ranging from hair cutteries to grocery stores and customers ranging from old to young.  As time progressed, the surrounding area changed.   An apartment complex was built at one end and a methadone clinic was built at the other.  This created unwanted traffic and eventually the strip was deserted.

(click to get directions)

Every Sunday, rain, sleet, snow, or shine, the Baltimore Street Church is there speaking truth about the redemptive spirit of Jesus Christ up and down the strip.  Passer-byes either avoid the group, walk past the group, or join the group, looking forward to the occasionally served breakfast after a 20 to 30 minute sermon.  Several times I witnessed the ones that hung around for food get a lot more than a full stomach- they left spiritually filled as well.

2 comments:

  1. I love you story, I feel some what the same, I knew John from Streetlite Church, and I been wanting ti come over to Street church @ Old Town Mall, but really did not know where it was, and then a friend of mine Wendy H. invitied me to go one Sunday, and when I got there and started talking to some of the people, I felt the love of God there working, and felt the love of the people, there to, who helps out and who comes to hear the service. So any way I have been going back and well be going every Sunday, rain or shine or snow. But I will be there to help in anyway possible, see I am on a methadone program, but I don't have to go everyday, I go 2 times a month, and the program has help me out in so many ways, I am on it for my addiction and pain. I have plains to come off of it, one day, but soon, it will be later, cause right now going through some personal things, and waiting for my Hep. C treatments to start, they should of started already, and don't know what is going on, but once I get all my health problems taken care of, and I have depression and bypoloar, and they is hard at times, but most of the time, I am a real good person I respect people and try my best to help people out, in siutations like mine. Thank u for sharing with us, and May God bless u every step of the way. My name is Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your life and heart, Jeanie! I will definitely look for you at the church next week.

    ReplyDelete