Saturday, July 24, 2010

Incoming Posts...


Wednesday, July 21, 2010, 12:01PM
On the Plane, En Route to Singapore via Johannesburg

I really don’t know where to start.  This trip has been nothing like I have ever experienced before.  Exactly seven weeks ago I was at orientation for the University of Maryland, signing up for the fall semester.  I just wanted to get through the last couple days quickly since it was a hectic week.  I really had no idea what to expect for this trip.  I am really glad that I didn’t set any expectation either- it allowed for me to have a completely open mind and truly experience South Africa to the fullest.  Ok, enough fluff.  I am going to prepare an outline for what I will be writing about over the next week.  I will be in Maine, on vacation with the familyWhite and will be able to relax and completely decompress from the life changing experience I just had.  So here it goes:

Politics
-Short History
-Current SA
-Current Enkhanini

Food
-The Good
-The Bad

Culture
-White
-Colored
-Black
-Similarities to US
-Differences with US
-Language

People
-Lourens
-Elsa
-Joel
-Juan
-Jaco
-Nikita
-Mama Unas
-Children
-Cassie

Organizations
-Serve the City
-13th Floor
-More Wine
-Keep Them Safe
-Christian Associates

Future
-STC/Lourens and Elsa
-South Africa
-Me

Wow that’s a lot.  Well, I plan to at least write a couple sentences about each topic, summarizing, concluding, and explaining.  Please, please, please know and understand that everything I write and have written is based off of limited knowledge and limited perspective.  I take the observations and have created some generalizations.  If any of these generalizations are wrong, please just comment below so I can correct them.  If you disagree with a point of view or don’t understand something, do some outside reading and contact me- I would love to talk about this stuff and hear other perspectives: trevin.hoekzema@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment